COMPLAINT: Cancelled by booking

Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:11 AM
mammahoo mammahoo is offline

Join Date: Dec 2016

On December 7th, 2016 I purchased 5 tickets ($500 each) through United with parts of my flight with them and their partner, Austrian Airlines. Today (December 12,2016) I received an email stating the tickets through their partner airline, Austrian Airlines, could not confirm my 5 tickets because they only had 4 seats left on their plane. I could, however, rebook and pay 6 times my original price to get on the SAME flight I originally booked (so obviously they have 5 seats). I called Austrian Airlines and they state there are over 90 seats on their plane and they are unsure why the seats were not confirmed, but the issue is with United and not them. I have called United back and they could not get me on the flight I originally booked for the same price because prices fluctuate. This sounds incredibly like a scam. So there are enough seats, I can get on this flight, but I must pay a much higher fare because it is now 5 days later and prices have increased. We have checked prices daily for months to find the lowest fare. To me it appears United or Austrian airlines were not happy with the fare I paid, so the seats would not be confirmed, but now I can buy them at a much higher price. This is price gouging at itís finest.

How can I book, pay for, and be issued an itinerary for a trip, and then not be told for 5 days that itís not confirmed, but then be offered the SAME trip for a much higher rate. This sounds like not only price gauging, but illegal. I could understand if the plane was truly full and they overbooked, but there are plenty of seats. Does anyone know if this is common, or if there's something else I can do besides talk to customer service reps that just offer me the same flight for $3000/person and an apology? This is just horrible customer service and so stressful when trying to plan. Thank you!

Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:45 PM
cliff7080 cliff7080 is offline

Join Date: Jan 2014

Obviously United Contracted with Austrian to buy a limited number of seats at the low price on the Austrian owned legs. Now they have sold them all and the only way they can honor your Itinery is to buy more seats. Obviously Austrian want a higher price due to an obvious demand. Try booking the same itinery again and see what price you can get. Or book the same itinery but on the Austrian website. Or book the whole thing on a different airline. If youn get a good price then demand a refund from United and pay for and confirm the new itinery.

Maybe someone else can help as to the legal situation because they CONFIRMED the flights and Prices and you PAID them. Seems to me that you had a contract with United that they are breaking..

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Cancelled booking despite full payment and confirmation. Jameelc Etihad Airways Complaints 1 Oct 4, 2016 9:28 AM
Customer Service One Year Since I Cancelled My Booking - Still No Refund!!! Tkidon Etihad Airways Complaints 3 Dec 17, 2014 4:52 PM
Check-in / Boarding Lufthansa cancelled my booking Lufthansasucks Lufthansa Complaints 9 Aug 26, 2013 5:25 PM
Reservations Cannot get refund for cancelled Economy Basic Plus booking madsing Lufthansa Complaints 0 Jul 24, 2012 6:02 AM
Reservations Booking cancelled after reservation confirmed ryanagihara Delta Air Lines Complaints 6 Oct 9, 2007 7:33 PM