General Discussion

For General Airline matters.

new flyer here....a couple very short questions

Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:41 AM
glennjridge glennjridge is offline

Join Date: Jul 2014

now that I will have to be flying alot more due to my job, I have a couple quick questions....I could look them up online but its better to get feedback from people who been thru it all.

lets say I am running late...and coming down the ramp and RIGHT AT the door as they close it....say I'm too out of breath to shout....is it a myth that they absolutily cannot open it once closed? I mean if I ....literally...am there the milisecond it closes...can they just pop it open quick and scoot me in?

and lets say...at a small city airport, not a big one.....I get my luggage checked in...and it gets on the plane....and via some security incident or somerthing I get to the gate seconds after they close the door....would they fly with my luggage on the plane...but not me? in this day and age of terrorism...wouldnt it be in their best interest...to let me on the plane to essencially connect me with my luggage as it were rather than a pilot taking off knowing there is luggage...in the bowels of the plane..not with a passanger? wouldnt that possibly make them hold the plane if I was right at the gate even though they closed the door because personally if I was a pilot..I would want to make sure that person who had luggage on the plane is there with it. and if it did fly without me, would the airport it lands in hold it for me?

remember I am flying out of a small airport....syracuse,ny, not a large one.

also...and this is a bit cheeky....but I have to ask....is there any "tactic" anyone has tried...a ploy if you will, to change the mind of the crew to re-open a door and it was succesful? you know, like say...something...X and they were taken in by it and did something they usually wouldnt do like call the pilot and say...hold up hold up..can you let this guy on?

any help with these would be much appreciated as these might be an occurence I might face.THANKS!

Last edited by glennjridge; Jul 16, 2014 at 6:44 AM.

Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:12 PM

Once the manifest is completed, they are unlikely to let you on. They don't wait to take the bags off until the door is closed. If you have failed to show, the baggage handlers start looking for your bags. Once they have found it and removed it, then they close the door and you are off it. In Europe, your bag will not fly with you in the aircraft and I am sure it is the same in the US.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:05 AM

In America, on a domestic flight, your bag will fly to it's checked destination. Internationally, it obviously will be removed.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:32 PM
GiGeeTee GiGeeTee is offline

Join Date: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post

ye this is true. And it never is much of a problem if your luggage flies without you, as it will just come right back on the next flight. They are usually pretty speedy

Alitalia - terrible, short-sighted attitude - AVOID dand99 Alitalia Complaints 2 Nov 11, 2014 1:47 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Short Notice for Cancellation marchamona British Airways Complaints 2 Oct 26, 2012 9:35 PM
Customer Service A good short story. Leroy721 American Airlines Complaints 2 Jan 27, 2011 10:56 AM