General Discussion

For General Airline matters.

Airline pricing USA vs Europe

Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:05 PM

I don't see any other posts about this so I'm opening a new thread. I fly to London from Tampa twice a year and I am consistently seeing that prices from the USA to London are MORE THAN DOUBLE exactly the same flight if it is booked from London to Tampa.

e.g. Nonstop July 7 2016 returning Sep 22 is approx $1800 if going Tampa to London, vs $800 if going from London to Tampa. How can this be? I can understand a slight difference for "supply and demand" but MORE THAN DOUBLE? Not to mention Tampa is a huge destination for Brits, and anyway this price differential is not seasonal, it is year round.

It's an absolute scandal. The US consumer appears to be being royally screwed and discriminated against.

Last edited by BarryC; Mar 24, 2016 at 11:09 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Mar 25, 2016, 1:05 PM

Looking up your dates, you can fly for a lot less to book r/t TPA/JFK then JFK/GTW on those dates, it is not as convenient as Non Stop but it will cost about 1100 dollars. Possibly an experienced T/A can do something for you.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:46 PM

Thanks Phinu. I actually use BA avios to bring the price down, but the point is that it's a total ripoff, and nobody seems to be outraged

Tags
discrimination, europe, gouging, pricing